Blog Archives

The awful legacy of rape by Catholic priests and suicides of their victims in Australia’s Ballarat Diocese


The awful legacy of rape by Catholic priests and suicides of their victims in Australia’s Ballarat Diocese

From the link: http://sickhorses.com/2011/08/02/rape-by-catholic-priests-and-suicides-of-their-victims-in-australias-ballarat-diocese/

These are the sorts of truths you don’t even want to write about. These are the stories you take in, you bury your head in your hands, and then you want to forget you ever heard them.

Bishop Peter Connor

Bishop Peter Connor

And I might just pass on all of it, the Catholic church’s child sex abuse scandal being so planet-encompassing and seemingly unending. But for the damningly black-hearted carelessness of the Ballarat Bishop, Peter Connors, I might have. But I can scarcely tell you how violently angry I got in reading his breezy opinions. This is a person too irresponsible to have ever been properly put in charge of anything. He deserves to be removed immediately and sent to the terminally boiling Diocese of Greater Sahara.

This is the latest reminder that the Catholic church hasn’t come close to realizing what, perhaps for centuries, it had become: a cabal that conspired to successfully and extra-legally abuse, molest and rape children and teens. It is only now — now that they can no longer get away with it — that they’re pretending to give a damn about addressing who they’ve been and what their victims have been forced to endure.

Infuriatingly, in this case — again – pretending is all they’re prepared to do:

Church sex abuse inquiry ‘not needed’
Kellee Nolan | Herald Sun | August 3, 2011

An inquiry into suicides among victims of sexual abuse by Catholic priests and brothers in Victoria would achieve little, a Catholic bishop says.

Police investigating the case of convicted pedophile Brother Robert Best believe at least 26 victims of sexual abuse at schools in which he taught have committed suicide.

So, let us get this straight: 26 dead bodies, but no wider investigation? And you’re not stonewalling anything, Bishop? If 26 nuns had been raped and later killed themselves, wouldn’t you want to know how such an immense tragedy came to be?

“I don’t think they’ll learn very much more … I’m convinced we’ve done the best we can in more recent years.”

Best, who taught at schools throughout Victoria, including Ballarat, will be sentenced on Monday after pleading guilty to 27 charges of abusing 11 boys between 1969 and 1988.

. . and that’s the end of the story? That’s the beginning, Bishop Connors. How is it Best managed to get away with it for so long? Who else knew about it? Somebody knew about it, that’s guaranteed. When kids were killing themselves, no one thought twice about it?

But Bishop Connors on Tuesday said not even revelations from Detective Sergeant Kevin Carson that 26 young men had killed themselves after being abused by priests and brothers in Ballarat convinced him that more would be learnt from an inquiry.

“I think we’ve learnt a lot of things about what is appropriate behaviour and what’s not appropriate behaviour,” Bishop Connors said.

“I think people are very well informed nowadays as to what’s inappropriate approaches from a male.”

What the FUCK does THAT mean? This Connors guy might be the single most ill-equipped individual to deal with these horrific issues. Sadly, one of Best’s fellow pedophiles (there were more, of course) would be better suited to respond with a mote’s bit of compassion.

While conceding the abuse of children was wrong, he said that in the past it had not always been clear to everyone what was appropriate and inappropriate behaviour.

“In the past a lot of ignorance was there on the part of lots of people. Parents didn’t understand, sometimes bishops didn’t understand. We have no excuse now.”

It’s like the darkest bit of sketch comedy ever staged. Except it keeps going on and on.

Among the charges laid against Best in Victoria’s County Court last month were details of him raping a nine-year-old boy in his office.

The court heard that after Best raped him, the boy thought he was going to die and blacked out.

Bishop Connors said in the past 14 years he had spoken to more than 30 victims of [convicted child molester Father Gerald] Ridsdale and other priests in the Ballarat diocese.

But he said none had told him they were also abused by Best.

“I can’t remember them saying they were victims of Brother Best as well,” he said.

The bishop said he had no reason to meet Best’s victims “because he being a Christian Brother, I’m not responsible for him.”

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Ex-priest claims Australian Church hid sex abuse


Ex-priest claims Australian Church hid sex abuse

by

From the link: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130424/local/Ex-priest-claims-Australian-Church-hid-sex-abuse.466862

A Maltese man has blown the lid on the Australian Church by quitting the priesthood and claiming the Victorian Archdiocese has been deleting child sex abuse records.

Victor Buhagiar claims he “saw and heard” the Archbishop of Victoria order a secretary to turn off a recorder before discussing clerical sex abuse during a Church council meeting in April 2012.

He bowed out as a priest last January, saying his subsequent enquiries into the matter had led him to a metaphorical dead end.

“I believe there’s a devil in the hierarchy,” Mr Buhagiar has now told Australian investigative TV show Today Tonight.

“I suspect the recorder was turned off to create a black hole, so that investigators will…find nothing. Certain data is not being recorded in any way, shape or form.”

He accused the Archdiocese of operating a ‘no names’ policy in cases related to sexual abuse, saying Church superiors had turned down a request to alert nearby parishes to the presence of a suspected sexual offender.

“The secretary told me we cannot do that because we have a policy of no names. If I don’t put the name of the person, how are the other priests going to know who I’m talking about?” he said.

Pope Francis has called for the Vatican’s prosecutorial arm, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, to act decisively in cases of sexual abuse and promote measures to protect minors.

While Victorian Archbishop Denis Hart has issued a statement contesting Mr Buhagiar’s claims, he has done little to directly deny them. In a statement, the Archbishop noted that, while the Archdiocese complied with privacy principles, “it is wrong to describe that as a ‘no names’ policy”.

Archbishop Hart also admitted that tape recorders were sometimes switched off during council meetings, justifying this by arguing that some discussions were either “in a preparatory stage or otherwise confidential”.

“On such occasions, the Council may elect to discuss matters that are not minuted. This allows an open discussion in advance of a formal decision or final position being reached,” the Archbishop wrote.

Mr Buhagiar’s resignation caught his former Gladstone Park congregation by surprise. Reactions to his sudden departure have been mixed: while over 300 locals have written to the Archdiocese in his support, others have said that the parish is being better run without him.