This is a posting I found on a web search about Father John Farrell titled
by Derryn Hinch
Monday, 09 July 2012. It comes from the link below:
This time last week Four Corners ran a sickening story about a paedophile priest who was protected by the Catholic Church and is still being protected by the Catholic Church.
Sexual assaults against altar boys in Moree, Narrabri and Parramatta which led to the suicides of several victims.
It has now embroiled the Archbishop of Sydney George Pell, the Secretary-General of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, Brian Lucas, the Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Sydney, Monsignor John Usher and the Vicar-General of the Armidale Diocese in New South Wales, Wayne Peters.
One name not mentioned in any of the reports – and I will name him in a minute — is the paedophile priest. On Four Corners he was referred to as ‘Father F’ because his name was suppressed when he appeared in court in 1988 charged with six cases of sexual intercourse without consent and five counts of indecent assault on a child. The charges were dismissed by a magistrate whom I understand had known Father F. for a long time and, in my opinion, should have excused himself.
The Catholic Church hired one of the best, and most expensive, QCs in Australia, Chester Porter, for a lowly Magistrate’s hearing in Narrabri, and a jury never got to hear the victim’s graphic evidence because the Magistrate said any jury would believe a Catholic priest, with no prior convictions, over a ‘wayward youth’.
I now know a lot more about Father F. And so should you.
The paedophile priest’s name is John Farrell. He now lives in Armidale. On the same street as a Catholic School. O’Connor Catholic High School. He writes material for the local newspaper and reportedly has been employed to do survey work for the Federal government that entails him going into family homes.
He’s still living a good life, untouched by the law, even though several of his victims killed themselves before they reached 30. I tried to phone him yesterday. Got his answering service which told me that his mate Mike was holding a State of Origin football party and advising Queensland supporters to ‘bring their own beer and their own meat’.
Life is good for a child molester who has been protected by the Church for 30 years. He was first accused of sexual assault on an altar boy in 1983 — and the Archbishop was told about it. He was charged in 1988 but not defrocked until 2005 – only seven years ago.
And all those Catholic heavies I mentioned earlier are still covering up for John Farrell. I have copies of the documents which show several of them guilty of what I believe are criminal cover-ups and several of them lying about it even now. I’ll explain why next.
In 1992, nearly ten years after the church hierarchy was first notified of Farrell’s sexual abuse of altar boys, the priest was called before a three-man Church tribunal.
I have seen a report of the proceedings. The meeting was held inside the Presbytery at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Sydney on Thursday, September 3. 1992 and lasted from 7.40p.m. until 10.30p.m.
Confronting Farrell were three members of the Australian Catholic Bishops Special Issues Resource Committee. The men I mentioned earlier: Lucas, Usher and Peters.
I believe that what they heard then should have sent them straight to the Police. It didn’t. And some of their recollections now are simply not true.
Lucas said on radio, the day after the Four Corners revelations, that Farrell ‘made no admissions of a specific nature. He was very careful about not naming any names and, on that basis, we didn’t have anything we could take to Police’.
A spokeswoman for the Archdiocese of Sydney sung form the same hymn book. She said: ‘Monsignor Usher has confirmed his recollection that Father F made no admissions of criminal conduct’. And speaking on Four Corners, from the Vatican, Archbishop Pell backed them up.
When told Farrell had admitted in court that he’d confessed at the 1992 meeting to having oral sex with young boys Pell condescendingly said he’d ‘take the word of three priests against that allegation’.
What’s not commonly known is that yet another alleged victim wrote to Pell himself in 2002 detailing the abuse he had suffered under Farrell. Pell said he did not have authority over the priest and referred the complaint to Armidale.
While Lucas, Usher and Pell say there was no criminal conduct admitted by Farrell, the third tribunal member, Peters, actually put it in writing to the Bishop of Armidale. He wrote:
‘He [Farrell] admitted that there had been five boys around the age of ten and eleven that he had sexually interfered with in varying degrees in the years approximately 1982 to 1984 while he was the assistant priest at Moree.
With two other boys, according to Peters’ letter to Bishop Manning: ‘ He admitted that over a period of approximately 12 months he fondled the genitals of each of these boys and to quote “ sucked off their dicks”. As far as Farrell can remember this was done on about a monthly basis over a period of twelve months.’
None of the Church hierarchy thought this constituted criminal behaviour that should have been reported to Police. They obviously still don’t. It’s a bloody disgrace.
Footnote: Buried away near the bottom of that damning letter is, to me, a clue as to why they might not have alerted the cops. The Rev. Wayne Peters warned that ‘in the present climate in Australia, the media and public in general are more inclined to publicise, highlight and pursue the matter of a priest offending sexually against children than the situation of a lay person offending.’
Would reflect badly on the Church. We must hide it. Forget about the victims. Remember, this was five years after I went to jail for naming that paedophile Catholic priest Father Michael Glennon.